Thursday, April 21, 2011

PC Thomas at Thrissur: Experience of A Lifetime - 2nd part


Second Thread
 Day TWO
          A loud ring of a bell woke me up. I woke up and hardly realised that I was in a dorm. Before I could even feel myself, a Christian prayer song began (not mentioning it much because I hated it like hell.) My eyes and body wouldn't allow me to wake up. Thanks to the hormones in my body which make cyclic schedules and now I was doing something really wild to my body. I checked my watch.  Oh, for the love of god! It was only 5.00 a.m. I checked out my friends. Goku was sitting on his bed and his face showed an expression from which I knew what would say. "WT #@&%!" (sorry for the bad words but what fun would it be without mentioning the exact words  used and that too in a hostel. I hope my readers will forgive me considering the situation)
          To continue the story, Vishnu hadn't got up yet and every other fellow convicts were sitting on their bed and those at the nerd department already started bustling.. I asked Praveen, the boy whose bed was between Vishnu's and mine,  "What is this? It's our first day of class and we haven't even slept for seven hours.".Even before Praveen could react a harsh voice answered my question., "Son, this is not your home and there is no mommy around to wake you up at seven.". I was dumbstruck! But KV reacted. He saved me by making a harsh voice. to which the warden reacted with a wide gaze and left the scene. I looked back at KV and said., "Almost got me kicked out".. After fifteen minutes of silence Sibin said "It's only 5.30. What are we supposed to do and the mess hall will open only at 7.00 am. C'mon don't tell me we have to study?!!!". Nihal Maamu said, "Look around you. Don't you see those people studying? Come on, le'ts get ourselves ready."
          Now I was really disappointed about my friend's reaction. I didnt want to bathe at 5.30 in the morning. I've never woke up at 5.30 except for the days when Sheela maam warned me that she would call home and I if wasn't the one who picked the phone...I had it. I had what...????? That was another unanswered question in my life...
         We were sleeping on our study chair when the mess bell rang. Sibin got up and got us ready for food. God! If sibin was not there we would have missed our first food at PC's hostel.
           We had dosa and what we later called "the crap curry." I had one and almost vomited. Rather, that was the case with everybody. Well after this, I felt that what I had done was a big mistake, that was, ruining my vacation for something like this. "God ! What have I done?!" It was KV who said something to encourage us. He said, "Well, if it takes this much to earn us a decent job, I'll take..it." That was some confidence booster! So, that day, we had our first class at pc-thomas.
           At 7.30 am we went to our respective classes. There were many batches. Goku,  Aditya and myself were in one class because of our names. KV, Maamu, Sibin and Vishnu got their names together in one class. Then, I checked the arrangement. I had to sit with four Aswins in one bench. Goku had to sit with three Gokuls and Aditya with 4 Adityas. Boy! I didn't know my first name was this common. Our warden got the class exited with the OMR sheets and each of us got our file of handouts. The instructor entered the class and sat next to the blackboard like a bloated beetle, watching us settle down. Waiting for huddled murmurs to cease. He looked around forty years of age, with oily skin and with hair incandescent from three tablespoons of coconut oil. He wore an untucked  light blue shirt and black pants. He had two pens in his pocket and a pile of chalks near him.
           "Welcome everyone. I am Anto, your physics teacher. So, first day of entrance huh?! Do you feel special?", he asked hiding his dirty grin. He had a dual tone and it was hard to make out what he spoke. Very good quality of a teacher, na?
          Professor Anto noticed our bad response to his greeting and made his voice firm and said "Keep quiet! We are just starting our classes and you better not misbehave." That made even the hardest of hard children to weep in their minds. He took out a white coloured chalk and wrote on the board, "Units and measurements," he underlined it and turned towards the class,  "Units and measurements, the base of physics, every engineer's existence is based on this," He said and paused. "Now, can anyone tell me what a unit is? he asked, The class fell more silent. "Anyone?" he asked and "you?" Prof. Anto chose me as his first casualty.

          This was not the first time this happened to me so I was really terrified.  "You. I'm talking to you," prof. clarified. The man inside me started working. I could have just said something like "it is a standard by which you measure physical quantities." Or, atleast a simple "I don't know, sir". But it was as if my mouth was  "AWOL". "Bad" Prof. Anto said and pointed to some random student. "You, the one in check shirt. Tell me." The guy was more terrified than me and just stood there. Prof. Anto, in seeing this, spoke. "See, the standard just keeps falling every year. Our admission criteria is just not strict enough." His disgust fell like spit on the check shirt. He made me sit. He said, "Anyway, the definition of the unit is simple. It is a standard by which you measure physical quantities." He spoke out the same words that were in my mind. I cursed myself for being such a loser. Anyway, the other Aswin near me said, " You better make an impression fast. Otherwise, you will be kicked out in any instant. So, I tried answering in class for his simple questions and I knew that he started liking me. After class, he smiled at me. Goku saw that. I told him, "Whew, just blowed that one!"
That ends my second thread. I have to tell you a lot of do's and dont's and our serious and dangerous adventures at pc-thomas thrissur.so dont forget post ur comments and encourage me for my next thread.

If you have not read the first entry, please click:
PC Thomas at Thrissur: Experience of A Lifetime
         

7 comments:

Blog Admin said...

It was KV who said something to encourage us. He said, "Well, if it takes this much to earn us a decent job, I'll take..it."

KV seems to be a mature fellow :). Good job in comforting your friends with those words.

Aswin krishna said...

naa...he told in malayalam....ive jus made it descent.....
naa.. im jus kiddin he is really nyc...

Blog Admin said...

Even if it is in Malayalam, it was still good no? As you said, KV encouraged you guys by saying that.

By the way, your story is quite interesting. I was thinking how you were able to survive then. You did complete the programme, right?

Amita Govindraj said...

Oh man! 'Criteria not high enough'!?

Also, bad words are okay as long as they're censored (IMO). It adds to the effect. :D

Congrats for surviving. We are all cheering for the man in the brown coat. =D

Aswin krishna said...

yeah...thanx.....i like it when ppl call me the man in the brown coat.....n unfortunately.....one of ma frnd dinn survive the whole programme,...rathr he quit......it'll b revealed in ma next thread...

nihal said...

gudd...........keep the heat burnin!!!!!!>
i xpct u to complete this one!!!!!>

sd/
K.V

Aswin krishna said...

k...im wrkin on it...it'll b posted accordin to the response..