Friday, April 1, 2011

My Appointment

Yesterday I went to the dentist to get a tooth filled.

My mom and I arrived at the place and we waited in the waiting room for our turn. I saw this wait coming, so I took “The Other 99%” with me to prevent me from looking at the other patients. At a point, trading it for the newspaper which my mother was reading, I waited till we were called. Mama told me to go first, the reason for which I don't know. Well anyway, I went.
Those moments waiting for the doctor to come were so nerve-wracking! I would look around, quietly enjoy the texture and softness of the chair, (Which was rather hard, by the way), look at those marvels of science resting on the tray beside me, occasionally turning my attention to my mother, who was standing beside the door, apparently very curious to know how the dentist would fix up this troublesome incisor. The drill from the adjacent cubicle crying away. Things looked bright, I must say.
So it started, the fixing of my tooth. Towards the beginning, the drill was hurting my ears more that my tooth! I closed my eyes, not wanting to see mama's expressions at the situation, or the doctor's eager apprentice taking a look.
So, the time passed. At the end of it, I was handed a mirror to have a look. If it weren't hurting, I would have had trouble figuring out which one was fixed! I was amazed. The dark spot was gone! I managed to spot it, muttering a quiet “Oh!” when I did. That appointment sure was worth it.
Well, since I don't want to scare my fellow Devagirians out of their wits, I've kept it simple. Now, the tooth's fixed.
Just remember, next time you go to the dentist, enjoy the chair, marvel at those instruments which have made the process so painless, (imagine the time when dentists had to use knives instead of drills! Ouch!), think about the book you read in the waiting room and don't wonder what on earth is happening to the little patient inside your mouth.

No comments: