Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Other You

This happened a few years back when I was learning in 7th.The bell indicating the start of the Malayalam period rang and we were talking as usual. After a few minutes Preman Sir came  in and told us that we had to speak today! I sank low into my chair the moment I heard him and tried to stay out of his sight. But somehow he found me and asked me to speak on any topic I like. I wanted to vapourize on the spot! My instinct told me to say some excuse and get out of that instead of being an idiot in front of my friends.

But this time something was different. I was in a dilemma. I felt myself trying to tell sir an excuse but at the same time someone was asking me to speak in front of the class. I felt strange. How strange would it have been for sir and the students who were watching me stammer! There had always been this kind of fights inside my mind and usually it was me and my instinct that won. But this time I found out that I had to overcome my fear."There is no problem even if you make every word wrong. It's your friends sitting in front of you. If you can't talk to them who can you talk to?"


I closed my eyes. I had made my decision. I chose to speak. My speech was not as bad as I thought it would be but it still had lots of room for improvement. That was a start. From that day onwards I felt more confident about me. Even now I cant
speak in front of the public very well, but I have definitely improved.

So I think that whatever you do, you can listen to many advices but should always listen to your heart!

7 comments:

Amita Govindraj said...

Great post! =D

This is a quick read for those busy people, it's written well, and it's got a couple of good facts in it. Keep it up!

-Amita

P.S
I hope this comment didn't creep you out.

Blog Admin said...

Congratulations to you on your first entry. Good job! Hope to read more from you soon.

Most of the time, life catches us unaware and unprepared. There is nothing else to do except to say YES and respond to the best as we can. There is always something good in saying "YES". So, whenever you are called to speak or to do something, say "Yes, i will do it." It is a door to many unexpected wonders in life.

Alok Mohan said...

Thank you Amita and Mellanie Ma'am,I am really thrilled about this post since it is my first one.Hope everyone likes it.I will definitely continue to write in this blog and I thank Mellanie Ma'am for this oppurtunity.

Amita Govindraj said...

Yaaaay!\(^.^)/
That's the spirit! I'm looking forward to more posts from you too.
You're welcome. :D

Blog Admin said...

You're most welcome. :)

Anjana Soman said...

It's insanely hard to overcome that fear only You can create in yourself, and I'm real proud of you for having beaten it Alok :D And I bet you'll be stumping large audiences with your words soon enough, provided you stride on at this great pace !!

Alok Mohan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.