Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Was My Teacher's Princess

Hello, friends! Looking at the title, you might think that I am going to narrate about fairy tales. It's not really a narration but just a sharing of a very important incident that happened during my childhood days -- a sharing straight from the heart.

I studied at St. Ebbas Girls Higher Secondary School which is situated along the busy street of Dr. Radhakrishnan Salai in Chennai.


First, let me tell you about the campus. It has a vast area with an auditorium, kindergarten, a big play ground with huge trees, a chapel, a computer centre and a sports room. Our teachers then, were all well educated and were not as young as the teachers we see today. They were very experienced and old too.


I joined the school when I was in 4th std. I remember the colourful moments of celebrations such as the school annual day, sports day, cultural events and so on... I used to have a tight schedule of exams, inter-school events, book fairs, trips with lots of fun and frolic. It was a time when I was free from all worries, active in all activities, involved in unforgettable incidents, restless in tests and exams and filled with sad and happy moments!

I used to participate in activities such as elocution, recitation, debate, group songs, inter-school activities. I was a very active and dynamic student. At the peak of my self expression, suddenly  my voice became very feeble and I found it very difficult to read. When I tried to read aloud in class, no one could hear me. My voice could not be heard. My parents were immediately called and were informed about my condition. After some test, it was found out that there was a tissue growth in my vocal cord. Being a girl child, my mother was so worried about how my future would be. It was troubling her and gave her sleepless nights. I was completely shattered. I felt I was alone. My interaction with others was no longer through voice but through my eyes and actions. I became mute. I lost my voice!

In the beginning it was difficult for me to accept what had happened to me. Slowly, I learned to accept the unacceptable. I started to observe others' activities keenly, especially the movement of their lips and their actions, and admired them when they sang or read aloud. Slowly my participation in speaking activities reduced. I became a calm and quiet girl.

My class teacher at that time was Mrs. Lizzy Edwin. She was handling English and Geography. One day, she called me to the staff room and she brought me closer to her and said,

"You are a princess. You can read, sing and you are my sweet little princess. Believe me when I say, you will be a star tomorrow."

Hearing those words, tears started to roll from my eyes. I could not control myself. I hugged her. I was like a daughter hugging her mother. She consoled me and after some time, she sent me back to the classroom. From that day onwards, I strongly believed and prayed to God that he would grant me that wonderful moment when I would get my voice back. My teacher ignited that hope in me.


For many years, I was under treatment. After six years, towards the completion of my studies at St.Ebbas school, I got an admission into a prestigious institution, Stella Maris College. It was then that I got my voice back! After six years! But as God took my voice, he gave back a very refined one.

I did my first compering work when I was in college. My teachers said that I spoke softly, but it was clear and good. They said I had a good voice. The moment I heard their comment, I bursted into tears.


When I was compering in a school in Mukkam, my parents came to attend the function. My mother was saying that the voice of the person announcing was good to hear. Later, she came to know that it was mine. Tears rolled from her eyes. She could not believe it.


Friends, I have understood that each one of us is unique and that God has a plan for all of us. I had a good teacher who encouraged me and gave me strength to overcome the difficulties in my school life.
Today, if she would get to see me as a teacher, I'm sure she would be the happiest person on earth. I don't know where she is right now. If she gets to read this article, I will be very happy.

My Teacher
You were the light in my life of darkness.
You guided me at times of difficulties
When I shed tears, you wiped them
You made me laugh when my heart cried.
When I rejoiced, you rejoiced with me.
You held my hand, I felt you were mine.
I watched your lips and
grabbed your style.
You helped me set my goals
and you made me win.
 Today, I teach what you taught me
My Teacher, you made me a Teacher.

13 comments:

Blog Admin said...

Lini! You are no longer a princess! Remember that! You are now a QUEEN in the classroom full of cute little monsters. hahaha.

Blog Admin said...

On a serious note, I can't imagine how you managed to go through those days without any voice. I am very sure it was very difficult. Now I am thinking... why did it have to happen?

Roshan Mary Varghese said...

Awww, sweet!! Very nice of you, to have shared something like this!! Missing you all..

Blog Admin said...

Hi, Roshan. Nice to see you here. :) Lini has a lot of good and meaningful experiences to share, as well as inspiring thoughts on some matters of life. She just needs a little bit of push. :)

Ms. Sheela Varghese said...

Hi Princess,
That was truly touching.Wish I could share my story as frankly.Love you for it.Keep the good work going.

Roshan Mary Varghese said...

@Ms. mellanie: yes, i can see that :)
@Ms. Sheela : Sheela ma'am..!!!!Long time!!! how have you been?? :)

Amita Govindraj said...

As soon as I saw this in the drafts (I cheated, I know) I was waiting so eagerly to see this posted.

It's a really touching story. And *another* super-hit by Lini ma'am.

*Claps*

Ms.Lini K Gopalan said...

To Roshan,Sheela maam,mel and my dear student,
This is the first time am writing about my own experience as a school student.Am not so good in my writing as my language is not so good and getting a word of praise from sheela maam,am touched.Thank you all for the wonderful words of appreciation.

Fr.Sibi Ponpara CMI said...

Princess becomes queen in time....And Mis. Lini is queen of DPS..its a compliment..and hers a dynamic and enriching presence in Devagiri...She proved that every student has the same potency in the future by being a wonderful child in campus ....and congratulations dear great lady you are absolutely determined to succeed reminding all the readers to recall our school days...and I expect more sharings from other teachers...

Fr.Sibi Ponpara CMI said...

I believe Ms. Roshan is in London and enjoys the sweetest days in her life..see the photos in facebook..

Fr.Sibi Ponpara CMI said...

Dear friends...see the beautiful river which assists the teachers of St.Mary's higher secondary school..all are welcome for being a few hours here...

Sachin P said...

A very touching experience indeed! And certainly very inspiring! I just can't imagine being unable to speak for six years.. u really might have been a PRINCESS.. and of course a QUEEN now! :)

Ms. Sheela Varghese said...

Dear Roshan,
How are you child? Hope you are enjoying life. Married life is a different ball game.Hope you keep the ball rolling!!We have a look alike in school .Ms. Misha. She is as sweet as you.Keep in touch.

Sorry Lini using your space .