Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Unique Republic Day Celebration

Yesterday, I had a very unique experience of Republic Day celebration -- I was in school together with a few faculty and staff peeling and cutting fruits and vegetables!
Peeling and cutting fruits and vegetables in Class I room.
Ms. Swapna Vinod & Ms. Rekha Valsaraj peeling carrots. Or, shall I say scraping?
 
Around 120 CMI priests and brothers were at school yesterday to celebrate their Provincial Day. At 9.00 am they started off with a Mass at the home theatre celebrated by Rev. Fr. John Panamthottathil CMI, Provincial, St. Thomas Province. 


While this was going on, Fr. John Mannarathara was going up and down the stairs and moving about to prepare for the next programme in the agenda -- the volleyball game at the Monastery playground.


Rev. Fr. John Panamthottathil CMI and other CMI priests and brothers
After the Mass, the CMI fathers and brothers were taken to the Monastery playground for a volleyball game. Can anyone guess who the referee was? Who else if not the very dynamic Fr Sibi Ponpara?


Fr. Sibi as referee.
One of the fathers jumping for a spike while the opponents were on theirs toes ready to block it.
Obviously not everyone could play the game... The others had to play the role as audience.
 By the way, I was taken to this playground in the Bolero, the school's new vehicle. Has anyone seen it? I was with Ms. Rekha and Fr. John. 


After the game, they were all brought back to the school for lunch. They were all ready for a good meal after that exciting game. The main attraction at the auditorium was not the fish or chicken curry. It was the fruits and vegetables wonderfully arranged by Ms. Megha, the crafts teacher.


The work of Ms. Megha and of course the fruits and vegetable cutters! :P At first, nobody wanted to touch a single grape!  People just stood there admiring the graceful-looking swans and the carvings on those pumpkins. Some were taking snaps of this beauty including myself!




A closer look at the fish carving on that pumpkin.
A closer look at the swan carvings on that pumpkin.
Ms. Megha, the master carver  (first left) and the vegetable cutters!
They were not only vegetable cutters they were also food servers! How admirable! (They are going to kill me for this!)


After the lunch, the CMI priests and brothers had their cultural show. I was not able to take lots of snaps of the show because I was eating at that time. I was having a good time with that apple and pineapple salad soaked in honey!


The young brothers singing a very funny Malayalam song composed by them. I don't know Malayalam but I knew it was funny because the audience was laughing! hmmm.
I didn't finish the show because I had to leave. Fr John told me that the show would be finished by 3.00 pm.


This was Mr. Valsaraj who pretended to hoist the flag.

I leave this article unfinished because Ryka is pulling my hair!

No comments: